Los Angeles Fire Escape Inspections
|What is REG 4 Testing?||
It is Fire Protection Equipment Testing in accordance with Chief’s Regulation 4 or Reg 4 as it is commonly known.
Fire Escape Assemblies
(one of the test categories of Regulation 4)
A Reg 4 Test certifies the fire escape assembly (or fire ladder) as operational and ready to use in case of an emergency.
Fire Chief accepted testers – we can inspect and certify fire escapes and fire ladders.
All fire escape assemblies and fire ladders must be regulation 4 tested and certified every year.
48 hours notice must be given to the Fire Department before Reg 4 testing and then results submitted in a report to the Fire Department within 7 days.
If you have received a written violation, Reg4FireEscapesLA can remedy any violation issued on your fire escape assembly.
Repairs must be done within 30 days of notice of violation.
Our testers will certify the fire escape / fire ladder after any repairs have been done.
The report and certification is sent directly to LAFD or the Municipality.
Send us photos of your fire escape by email: info@FireEscapeInspectors.com
2012 IFC 122.214.171.124 Fire escape stairs must be examined every 5 years ,by design professional or others acceptable and inspection report must be submitted to the fire code official.
IBC 1001.3.3 All fire escapes shall be examined and/or tested and certified every five years by a design professional or others acceptable who will then submit an affidavit city official.
NFPA LIFE SAFETY CODE 101 126.96.36.199.2 The Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) shall approve any fire escape by Load Test or other evidence of strength (Certification).
OSHA 1910.37 Exit routes must be maintained during construction, repairs, alterations or provide alternative egress with equivalent level of safety. (permit issued if egress is certified or with egress scaffolding)
FIVE STEPS to Certify a Fire Escape:
- Schedule a pre load test evaluation by a design professional or others acceptable by City Official – AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction)
- Said professional will confirm with City Official if there are any other requirements other than load testing or other evidence of strength and if City Official wants to witness initial evaluation
- Submit evaluation report to owner/agent and a copy to the City Official as per code
- Issue certification, if passed, done by load test or other evidence of strength to City Official or, if failed, owner/agent and city official to confirm next steps (ex. engineer oversight, permits or other conditions)
- Please contact your local City Official (AHJ) with any questions about the above steps